Monday, May 15, 2017

Doctor in the house

We're back from Washington, DC, and I am exhausted, but content. My niece's graduation from Howard University School of Dentistry went off beautifully, with my two kids doing the organizing and the executing, and my brother and me doing the paying. At the grad party on Saturday night, my brother told the twenty-six of us gathered that it makes a parent so proud when their children get to the point of being able to make their way in the world, and more importantly, he added, "It means they're finally off my payroll." From the penny section, someone shouted, "The Bank of Daddy is now closed!" It was a festive time, with dancing and laughing and flowing pitchers of margaritas and a fab Spotify playlist, and everyone present felt invested in our graduate's success, and that investment was simply love.

The weekend was chock full: There was the dental school graduation on Friday, a rousing mimosa brunch with family and friends on Saturday morning, the white coat ceremony on Saturday afternoon, and then the party on Saturday night. Thinking about the weekend, I had a revelation, which is that everything came off so well because my niece told people how she wanted to celebrate, and she didn't just tell anyone, she told people who love her and are motivated to make her happy. Leading the charge were her cousins, her best friend, her boyfriend, her dad and mom, and my husband and me, with the older folk in advisory roles and the younger folk running the show. It was a dream to observe these children, now adults, so fully capable at every turn, including the clean up after the party, everything bagged and put out, the area rugs vacuumed, the floors swept, surfaces wiped down, everything back to pristine, just the way we found it. My husband, my brother and I just watched, smiling. Once that was us. Who knew our kids were taking notes?

Anyway, my revelation: When you want something to unfold in a certain way, don't just leave people to read your mind and hope they get it right, and then get upset when they don't, because, duh, very few of us on the planet can actually read minds. Instead: 1) figure out what you want, and 2) let the right people know. That's what my niece did. As I told my daughter, in our family there are generals who instinctively step up to direct the action, and my niece is one of the generals of her generation, for sure.

Here is a photo album from the weekend. A lot of these pics were also posted on Instagram, so if you've seen them, bear with me. This is my record for posterity.






















9 comments:

  1. The pride and the love are just emanating from all of your beautiful faces! And I love how everyone is holding each other. Just...heart balm.
    What an accomplishment! And what a fantastic observation about how to get what you want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she can tell people what she wants. I'm twice her age and still can't do that.

    Lovely pictures. Your family is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A treasure chest of smiles and memories, the jewels around your neck. Simply beautiful Angela, and you, simply beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your niece and what a wonderful time! Thank you for sharing this here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pic of the girls in their white coats and you standing tiny next to your very tall husband. This post fills me with joy. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful it made me cry. The pure love you all have for each other. It is nothing short of spectacularđź’• I am glad to know you even if just virtually. Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are so incredibly lovely; what joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many smiling faces! The world needs caring health professionals of every kind, and dentists are no exception. My dentist is a trusted, kind, caring individual who knows her stuff; your niece will make such a difference in the health and comfort of her patients too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all those pictures! The happiness is contagious and I appreciate it ;o) Also, I'd never seen graduation caps like that!

    ReplyDelete