Saturday, June 9, 2018

Night and day


My brother is in town. He came over last night, so did his daughter and her guy, and my daughter and one of her friends. This woman is her work wife. Hired one week apart, they became instant allies, then found out they knew a lot of people in common and started hanging out across social circles. She was sleeping over for a fun girls night while my daughter's boyfriend is away in San Francisco for the weekend. Work wife is a delight, one of those people who can walk into any room and immediately turn strangers into friends. We all watched the NBA Finals and drank lots of margaritas and engaged in rousing, laughing conviviality, because whenever my brother and my niece are around, it is a party. After everyone left at around 1:30 A.M. my husband and I looked at each other and agreed, "Well, that was a blast." The only thing that would have made it more fun was my son being there, too, as he and his uncle riff off each other endlessly, always to amusing effect.


I have nothing planned for today. It is stretching out ahead of me like a yawning space, asking—demanding—to be filled. My man is at church painting a renovated room in the undercroft with some other folks, and I could join them, but I know I won't. I could work on the book, there is always work, but it's clear and sunny outside, not a trace of humidity, and I know I should be taking advantage of this day, taking myself somewhere that feeds the spirit. Everyone is busy while I am at a loose end. I feel a little lost, to tell you the truth. I know, boo hoo.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect day stretches before you waiting to be filled with the joy of the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes on days like that I am absolutely paralyzed with choice. So weird how that happens. Last night does sound like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your family! I have lost all of mine except for husband and son, really. Early deaths , I feel like an orphan. Your day sounds perfect, especially after yesterday's sorrow and shock. Be kind to yourself. eat a juicy fruit that drips off of your chin, praise the sun! That is waht my day holds, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that feeling. Everyone else seems to have something to do, and I can't get out of my own way and just make a decision. I imagine those other folks would be over the moon to have a lovely day to spend as they wish, but that doesn't help us decide what to do! At least spend a little of it outside, if you can. When I look back on my best days alone, so many of them involve quiet contemplation in the outdoors. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt similar this morning. And then I wondered what my great grandmothers would think of me, women who worked from morning until night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your loose end turned into a wonderful opportunity, as so often seems to happen for you. :)

    ReplyDelete