Thursday, August 14, 2014

Morning. Evening. Beach Wifi

The cousins and some of their friends headed off bright and early on a road trip to Frenchman's Cove. Their preparations and excitement brought back vivid memories of my own beach-going youth. I'm glad my kids are having this experience with their Jamaican cousins. Going to the beach from Kingston is generally an all day affair, necessitating some travel to the best beaches, unlike in Antigua and St. Lucia, where there is are gorgeous white sand beaches at the end of almost every road and people drop by for a quick morning or afternoon swim.

As for me, I'm staying home with my mom and hanging on her every word. She's hard to understand these days but this morning on waking she took my hand and said, "I want you to listen to me carefully, because I don't have time for you to ask me what I said again and again. Just pay close attention because every moment we have left is precious and I have so much still to tell you." Yes, she said that and it came our clear and whole.

This is my mother's view as evening slips in. No word from the beach-goers but I did see an Instagrammed photo of my niece hanging from a tree by the knees, hands swirling the water, laughing upside down. I guess this is what's possible with beach wifi. And this, which just arrived on my phone via What's App, courtesy of my darling niece.



5 comments:

  1. Oh my god. Are you recording her?
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Sister Moon said. I, too, am hanging on her every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing what she said -- it takes the breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Ms. Moon and Denise. I hung on my mom's every word and sadly, I forgot most of what she said. Even jot it down in point form.

    Sending you strength. xo

    ReplyDelete